I am a Victorian Soul, live in a small townhouse with my Hubby Joe, work full time night shift as an RN on a Hospital based Rehabilitation( Physical Medicine) Unit, have a small Craft Business on the side and I DABBLE IN A BIT OF THIS AND THAT!!!!


" IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN"
George Eliot
George Eliot was actually a pen name for a woman named Mary Anne Evans......


My One Little Word for 2014 is ME!!
Please click HERE to read about why I chose this word!!


PLEASE CLICK HERE to read Why I Returned to Blogging after a Break.....


Saturday, February 18, 2012

Do You Ever Think About What You Post on Your Blog May Mean to Those Who Read It?

Do you ever think about what you post on your Blog means to others?

I want to tell you a little story ..........

Something that profoundly effected me and lifted my spirits greatly.

Shortly before Christmas, I was very sad and depressed over the passing of my friend , Rose Marie, and my friend, Lisa, moving away to another state.

Rose Marie


Lisa

I was wondering if all the decorating that I do for Christmas ( 17 trees) was really worth it and if my time would not be better spent doing something else.

I then received an email from Lynn, who found my Christmas Blog, A Debbie-Dabble Christmas, online.
I am going to share parts of this email with all of you, with Lynn's permission. I want all of you who Blog and put yourself " out there" to know that what we say and do on our Blogs are not only for us personally.

And PLEASE, do not think that I am doing this to "pat myself on the back" or "sing my own praises" .

In fact, Lynn's words humbled me so and reduced me to tears....

Debbie,
I came across your home on the Christmas Tour of Homes.....and I have spent the entire afternoon just on your beautiful home. I am in absolute awe and cannot get enough of it. I wasn’t even in the Christmas spirit this year. I lost both my Grandparents this year and its been very hard for me. I was in doubts of even celebrating Christmas this year but you have lifted my spirits and put a smile on my face, which hasn’t been there in several months.

I cannot get enough of your home! I am putting all of my decorations up tomorrow! You are such an influence to all of us!

As I mentioned before, I was questioning myself as to why I put myself through all that I do to decorate our home for Christmas and other Holidays.
Lynn's beautiful words lifted my spirits and made me realize that maybe, just maybe, I am meant to do this.

I did email Lynn back Thanking her and shortly after Christmas, I received another Email:

Hi Debbie,
I sent you an email back before Christmas thanking you for sharing your Debbie-Dabble Christmas blog, as well as your life. If you recall, I was going through a very emotional time due to the loss of both my Grandparents. Before I found your blog I had no intentions of celebrating Christmas at all. But, as I told you in the previous email, you changed my life. You gave me inspiration and hope. During the month of December I watched your blog every single day. Often, several times each day. I mustered up the energy and dragged out all my decorations and got my house in order. Although my Grandparents weren`t physically here this Christmas, I know they were spiritually right beside me the entire time. I even went to their home, which is a mobile home and is exactly twenty feet from my front porch, and got some of their decorations that have been around my entire life. I moved back to this area to take care of them and my Grandpa helped me build a small 800 sq ft house, right behind their mobile home. My house is small, but it works for me. Like you, I am pretty much wall-to-wall décor. I call my style Country-Victorian-Cottage. It`s somewhat a collection of all three styles, leaning more towards the cottage side.
With Christmas being over, I have been spending all my spare time reading both your blogs. I think I have watched everything you have ever posted. It’s a lot! LOL....I have loved every minute of it! I now feel like I know you and your family on a personal level. Isn`t it strange how someone we have never met can feel so close and so much a part of ones family?
My hobbie is going to yard sales, thrift stores, Goodwill and all of those wonderful places. Since I have started watching you, I have really been racking up! I have now done something I have never done before. I have decorated for Valentines Day! Mind you my decorating is no where close to being as beautiful and extravagant as yours, but I am working on it. Valentines Day is also my birthday, so I get to celebrate twice


I spent most of this afternoon looking at your "back yard" blog. I am so excited now for spring to get here so I can start buying flowers and yard ornaments. I keep having to remind myself you probably didn’t get everything you have overnight. Im sure its been years in the making. But, I want my home to look as wonderful as yours and I want it NOW.....lol

How many times have all of us been inspired by something we saw on someone else's Blog and we have tried to duplicate it in our own homes because we fell in love with it.

Imitation is the greatest form of Flattery in my book!

Again, I was brought to tears by Lynn's email. She had so touched my heart......

Shortly afterward, I received a package in the mail.

Lynn had decided to part with and gift to me some of her precious Grandmother's handmade items, along with some other treasures that made her think of me while she was out Thrifting.

Lynn's Grandmother's Embroidered Pillow Cases.....

So pretty....


Straw Berry curtains that her grandmother sewed herself....

Lynn knows that I do not have a kitchen widow and has granted me permission to recreate them into something else......


Lynn had pictures of this darling dresser scarf on her Grandmother's dresser from 1957 !!!!

Don't you just love this?????

And some treasures that she found that she said reminded her of me.....





I cried when I read her letter and realized that Lynn gifted to me some precious items that were her Grandmother's because reading my Blogs helped her through a " most difficult time in her life " and she felt that her "Grandmother would want me to have them."

I am sure that all of you can imagine how touched I was by this one gesture of kindness by a woman that I have never met.

Lynn, beautiful person both inside and out.....


Lynn and I have emailed each other back and forth and have become online friends.....

If you ever doubt the Power of Blogging........

If you ever think that no one is paying attention to what you say and do.......

If you ever think that you are going unheard and your thoughts are meaningless......

If you ever question the amount of time spent on your computer Blogging....

PLEASE remember this story that I have just shared with you.

Lynn feels that I have helped her and inspired her but what I want Lynn to know is that her very kind words have changed MY life as well.

When I was so depressed and saddened during the Christmas season , I actually thought that maybe I would stop decorating our home for the Holidays the way I do.

Lynn's words changed my mind and made me feel that maybe there was another purpose to my decorating insanity!! And maybe in the grand scheme of things, I am supposed to continue to do this.
So I will continue to decorate my home like the crazy woman that I am until I can no longer physically do it anymore.

If you are reading this and have been inspired by someone's Blog, PLEASE take the time to let them know it. You may change their lives as well!

THANK YOU SO MUCH, LYNN!!!!!

On a different note, I did go to the GI Dr. and he thinks all the problems that I have been experiencing is Irritable Bowel Syndrome brought on by a virus. An intestinal virus can irritate the lining of the bowel so much that it can bring on IBS. So I am on medication and I have to watch what I eat:
No coffee, chocolate, Caffiene, fatty fried foods, some fruits and vegetables, soda and some dairy products.
I have lost 8 pounds and with this type of dietary restrictions, I should be able to lose more. That is a good thing as I am grossly overweight and truly need to lose weight . Of course, I do wish that there was another reason as to why I am losing weight.

I am feeling better but still not myself .......

So I have been a little slow on getting things done. Watch for my Blog Anniversary Giveaway coming soon and when I decide the perfect places to display the treasures that I recieved from Lynn, I will share that with all of you also.

Thanks for all of your well wishes and prayers!
It means the world to me!

I also want to Thank Cindy for featuring me this week over @ her It's a Woman Thing Link Party!
It is truly an honor, Cindy!

I am linking up to these great parties because I want other Bloggers to realize the impact they have on others:

Masterpiece Monday
Show and Tell Monday

Blue Monday

Mod Vintage Mix Monday

Amaze Me Monday

Metamorphosis Monday

Cozy Home Party Tuesday

Home Decor and Organizing Link Party

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Wow Us Wednesday

Rednesday

Delightfully Inspiring Thursday

Vintage Thingie Thursday

Open House Party Thursday
Homemaking Link Up Party

Home Sweet Home Friday

Show and Tell Friday

Potpourri Friday

Vintage Inspiration Friday

Thrifty Things Friday
Tickled Pink Friday

Pink Saturday

Seasonal Sunday
Sunday's Best


Please take some time to visit these terrific hosts and all those joining in on the fun!

Thanks so much for stopping by today and every day that you take the time to visit with me!

Hugs,
Debbie

50 comments:

c. Joy said...

Thanks for sharing your story. This is one of the reasons I love blogging. Each of us brings something different to the table. Your blog and decorating inspired me to get busy and finish my Christmas decorations before Baby got home from college. No, I don't decorate as much as you but we do have certain traditions that make my children feel at home. I just needed a little push this past December. Thank you.

Debbiedoo's said...

OH Debbie, this is the most touching story I have read in a LONG time! You are so right, you never know who's lives you are touching. I think of that often when I get tired or frustrated and don't feel like doing it. I know someone, somewhere out there is inspired. I am so happy you shared this story. All your hard work was worth every second my friend. You truly made a difference in someones life, and I am sure many others you don't even know about. XO

Kim K. said...

What a beautiful post. You know I always enjoy seeing your glorious trees. As someone who has a year-round tree, it's always fun to see what you are up to.

Continued blessings, Debbie.

Denise said...

Thank you for posting this.I too needed to hear this story.There have been many times I've almost given up blogging.Thanks for sharing your encouragement.I have enjoyed following you for a long time now.You have a fun and pretty blog site.I am a retired rehab R.N. as I've said before.I too love your decor--it's so fun to look at.Thank you Denise

Lynn Crum said...

Debbie,
I am sitting here (at work) crying like a two year old. I know my co-workers think Im nuts (more~so than normal). They asked why I am crying, so I let them read the heart felt words you have written. Now I get to watch them cry too :)

You have changed my life and given me hope at one of my darkest times. You will forever hold a very special place in my heart.

I know I am just one of many who have the honor of calling you my friend.

I thank God everyday from sending you into my life.

Hugs,
Lynn :)

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Thank you for sharing this heartfelt post. I joined the blogging world last fall and have met so many wonderful bloggers, and have been touched by many as well.

Aledia said...

What a beautiful post and how kind of Lynn to send some of her grandmothers items to you.

I love the His & Hers pillowcases. I've been looking for some for awhile now. The ones I have found were either stained beyond hope or torn. I'm sure I will find them when I least expect to though....

I hope you have a wonderful Saturday!
Blessings and Hugs
Aledia

stefanie said...

I love this post!!!!!

Linens and Laurel said...

Oh how wonderful!

Terri Gordon said...

Hi Debbie, Oh what a beautiful post, it is wonderful! You have brightened my day, thank you for sharing. It is amazing to me the friendship that are made through blogging, it is wonderful! Hugs, Terri

Sherry said...

Debbie,
This is a fabulous post! I love the example here of the power of blogging, because it is true. When you reach out to someone anyway you can by blogging it does have an impact! So glad you shared this story! I am on almost the same diet for health reasons. I have have had food and drug (over the counter or prescription) reactions and many other crazy S & S from my histamine being in overdrive with seasonal allergies. It doesn't look to be a chronic disease but maybe stress related. I have been eating a low histamine diet (it eliminates all the foods you mentioned) and I follow the diet for interstitial cystitis. The mast cells there are also over reacting and giving me pain. This sounds very similar to what you have going on because the IBS is also one of the problems that can be caused by the overactive mast cells. If you learn of any connection and learn more about it let me know. I don't think mine would be related to a virus because it has lasted for 1 year now and "flares" up with the seasonal allergy season. In the middle of summer and winter when nothing affects me I can eat more foods and tolerate. Hope your feeling better soon!
Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry

we three dogs and me said...

I was almost in tears reading your post. I have felt the same way. I have gotten so much stuff for blogging I am overwelmed.the problem is I don'y want to stop or give up my treasures. So glad that you received the most precious friend that made you both happy.god Bless

Angela said...

I got all teary eyed over what Lynn sent you..what a glorious beautiful package of blessings she gave you...I just want to start to cry again...It's amazing this blog world of ours...and it is such a blessing when others take that time out to let us know something we have said in our posts has touched them in a powerful way. Helps us keep going when (we all go through it)we are ready to just kick it all in..((hugs))

Barbara said...

Wow Debbie...I don't know what else to say about your story but Wow! It is so beautiful! Yes sometimes it feels like I might be wating my time when I write my posts...but when I do I will remember your and Lynn's story. I don't know how much if a spiritual person you are, although it seems that many of us bloggers in this genre are, but I would have to say that God's hand was on both your shoulder and Lynn's at the same time guiding you to one another!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Liz said...

Beautiful story! And I love the gifts you got from Lynn, especially the embroidered things (dresser scarf and pillow covers). Thanks for sharing this story. Liz

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh WOW, what a story! You were there right when she needed to read that and see your Christmas for decorating inspiration...This is sooo special and I love all the precious treasures that she sent to you. God put you two together!!!
Love,
Cindy

Dreamgoddess said...

Debbie, what a beautiful post. I also often wonder why I bother with blogging and if anyone even cares if I ever post again or not. I believe God put you at just the right place and time for Lynn. The gifts she sent are so precious and priceless.

I'm so glad to hear the doctors have finally diagnosed what was wrong and can treat it. I hope you soon feel better.

Karan said...

What a very special post. Yes Debbie I can say the same things Lynn stated to you. You brought me though a rough time and have been my inspiration on a few of my posts as I had mentioned to you.

I have been going through some really rough times again, losing a close friend, father of my son-in-law. Two granddaughters having medical problems, Son-in-law in the hospital again with yet another surgery and now a devistating illness with my best friend who was just diagnosed with lung cancer.
And now I have just this week end discovered that my sister has a degenerating bone disease affecting several vertabraes at this time. She is now using a walker and schedualed Tues. for surgery, but they may have to postpone as Friday they discovered her kidneys are shutting down.

This has been a rough winter and I have not had much time in the blogging world the last few months.

I also have been working a few hours at the senior centers this winter for a couple ladies who were hospitalized. It sort of helped keep my mind off of the family issues.

I am so happy to have seen your post and as Lynn said I can assure you that you have been an inspiration to many.

I love the wonderful items Lynn sent. It is strange but I can say I have the same his and hers pillowcases, and the same dresser scarf given to me a year ago by a friend who was cleaning out her Aunts home. They are totally enbroidered but never had any edging or hems put on them. I washed them up and have them sitting right here by my sewing machine to added edging and hems too. Just had not had the time since the first of the year.

I am so glad to hear that you are feeling better. And congrats on the weight loss. Hard to lose that way as you say but good to lose it.


Karan

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

I knew there was a reason why I chose to visit your blog tonight! Beautiful story! I am visiting from Seasonal Sundays.

Sonia said...

Hi Debbie,
I have met so many nice and wonderful people through blogging. We never know who we encouraging or sharing our stories with..there are so many hurting people in this world...everyone needs a kind word and I love the blog world for that reason. I have received so much inspiration and enjoy sharing with others. You have always been so sweet...so keep on decorating your heart out!!
Miss Bloomers

Ginger said...

Beautiful post Debbie. I know when I started blogging the people I met online (you) filled a void in my life. Isn't it wonderful how we fill each others needs just having a person to understand us when we need a sympathetic ear. Wonderful post.
Hugs
Ginger

Nann from At Nann's Table said...

Debbie...Your story has just touched me so deeply. Here I sit with tears in my eyes. Last week I had some minor surgery but I have been really feeling under the weather. Yesterday as I sat at my computer I questioned myself why I was doing a blog at all. Who really cares. Who even reads it. Maybe I should just quit and do something else with my time. I was really, really down about it. And today I read this from you. I'm such a new blogger Debbie and you've been around for awhile and I think you have made a profound difference in many many lives not just Lynns. And what you say makes so much sense. One of the reasons I did start my blog was for a remembrance of me and a little of my life to my grandchildren now, and later in their lives. Like a little scrapbook of my life when I'm gone. Most are too young to appreciate it now but perhaps later in their lives when I am no longer here.

THANKYOU for writing all of this. I think you have made me change my mind. I needed to read this. I really don't know you but already feel a close bond. Thankyou my new friend.

Nancy (Nann)

A Perfect Setting said...

Hi Debbie, I think this post has struck a cord with many of us. If you go back and read my last post, (several weeks ago), you'll see that I felt like I was wasting my time sitting in front of this computer and feeling neglected, even though my tablescaping brings me joy and I cherish some of my newfound blog friends. Your story is so sweet it brought tears to my eyes. My friends hardly ever call these days, not sure if it's because I am an empty nester, and most still have kids at home or if my deoderant just isn't holding lol, anyway, thanks for the inspiration, think I'll go set the table...

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

Debbie, this is such an inspirational story! I think we all question why we blog from time to time, but you've answered that question. Your friend Lynn was such an angel for taking care of her grandparents, and you were her angel when she needed one herself. Such a fabulous story that needed telling. And I'm glad to know you're feeling better.

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

Thanks for this great post, it was so touching and inspiring. I've also been wondering if I want to continue blogging. So much work, and for what,there's always another one to take over. But knowing that your blog touches someone's life means maybe I do in some way also. A very touching post. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best.

Betsy said...

I love this post. Isn't it amazing what we can all do for each other? I'm so happy to hear about this wonderful friendship that you and Lynn are now sharing. What a sweetheart to send you all of those precious memories. Thanks so much for the inspiration:-)

Dayle said...

Very inspiring post, Debbie. Lynn is a sweetheart, for sure. Hearing how you impact another's life always leaves you feeling humbled, I agree.

P.S. I'm a new follower and look forward to getting to know you more through your blog.

Tisha said...

A sweet reminder, Debbie! And I loved seeing all those embroidered pillowcases Lynn sent you - my grandmother used to make those as well. Thanks for linking up.

Cynthia said...

Thank you for sharing this, Debbie (and Lynn). I felt good just reading it! So, thank you for passing that on.

Shannon @ Cozy Home Scenes And Cozy Home Kitchen said...

You and Lynn are both very good friends to help each other through hard times. It is amazing how we can each help each other without "knowing" each other in person. Just last week, someone who didn't know I was experiencing a problem e-mailed me about her situation which was similar to my own. I tod her this was an issue I had been praying about and felt like her e-mail was an answer from God. I know several people have said similar things when I've helped them online too. It's good to know we aren't just "wasting time" while we are online.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story of friendhip on my blog.

By the way, I am glad you got a diagnosis. If it makes you feel better, someone in my family has IBS. With the proper medication, reducing stress, and dietary changes, you should feel a lot better. Best of luck to you.

SueLovesCherries said...

Debbie and Lynn - I'm so glad you shared your story, it is so encouraging!

I hope your IBS will clear up soon. What's life without coffee and chocolate, lol? But, on the bright side, you are losing weight!

lori ventimiglia said...

Debbie,
Thanks for sharing this wonderful story. And thanks to all your followers who wrote before me. You are so inspirational. I am so addicted to blogs, I read everyday, and feel like I know so many people. I have been blessed to have met some bloggers in the real world. I love getting to meet someone I have been reading and writing to. 2 of my favorite people "bloggers"have become wonderful friends, that I get together with. It's so nice to know that there are so many lovely people with so much in common. Makes life just a little bit sweeter. Thanks. I hope you get feeling better soon.
lori v

sweet violets said...

So inspiring, thanks for sharing....

Sally Annie Magundy said...

Such a lovely and touching post Debbie! What a wonderful gift of friendship blogging has given to you and Lynn.

Hoping you feel better soon!

Andrea said...

Well my goodness, I just hopped on over to say THANKS for that sweet comment about my Vintage Kitchen remodel, and I come to find a fantastic blog, and I really enjoyed reading through this post. I have never thought about being an inspiration in that way, I just think I am sharing ideas and that's it, but it really is SO much more.
Thanks again!!!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Debbie, thanks for sharing, I Too have received a couple heartfelt emails, Lynns was so sweet! How many times has something in a blog changed and improved our mental state....How many times have we not let that person know. How sweet of Lynn to step up and say what you meant to her. Debbie, you touch so many people, because of your straight forward, honest personality that shines though on your blog.

Carol

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Debbie, What a beautiful story and how wonderful you and Lynn connected! That was so sweet of her to send you some of her grandmother's things. Thanks for sharing this sweet post at the Open House party. hugs, Sherry

Sharing Shadymont said...

First, thank you for your visit. I really do appreciate it.

What a lovely story. Friendships are wonderful no matter if they are in person or online. Sounds like you have a dear friend!

Have a great weekend.
Kathy

Sarah said...

Debbie, this is the sweetest story. I agree, the blogging community is full of wonderful people. I've made some wonderful friendship though my blog. Thanks for sharing this story. ~ Sarah

About Vintage French Hen said...

This was a wonderful post Debbie! There are many days I think no one ever reads my blog, but then someone offers a few kind word and it makes my day! How very sweet of her to send you some of her grandparents possessions you must be very special to her! Blogging is so therapeutic! Marcia

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Debbie this is such a beautiful post! Thank you for sharing.

May said...

I too treasure the friendships and connections I have made via my blog. Thanks for sharing.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

This is a beautiful post, Debbie! It sounds like you and Lynn helped each other out. You are right, sometimes we don't know how our words might affect someone reading our blogs. My hope {in my blog} is that people can see that they can do things in their home without breaking the bank and that they can do {if I can do it!}.

I have IBS and Celiac Disease. You might want to have them test for that, too. It's a simple blood test and could cause the some symptoms you are feeling. Hope you feel better and find out what's definitely wrong.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Dear Debbie,
What a wonderful friend you have made just by blogging! It sounds like you two have much in common and both kind-hearted!
I know there have been times when I have been discouraged, especially over this past year, and someone would leave a comment which would inspire me or lift my spirits. Blogland is filled with such lovely folks and I'm glad Lynn reached out and you've made a good friend.
I hope you're feeling better, my friend. When you are able, I would welcome your participation in Tea Time again. Thanks for thinking of me even when you're in the middle of your troubles.
In the meantime, take good care of yourself and I'm sending you big hugs.

Blessings & love,
Sandi

Nani said...

I have many friends that I've met through the Internet and blogging. When we blog ourselves rather than products, we really do share just as much as a phone call or face to face coffee. And yes, the things we say in our blogs are very much like sitting next to someone at a coffee shop or even church and striking up a conversation.

Your story with Lynn is so touching. You certainly helped each other heal in the most loving and self-less ways.

Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest said...

HEY!!

I know that Lisa who moved, too!
She's the sweet and beautiful Victoriana Lady!

I can't find your email or would have written you privately.

Small world and it just keeps getting smaller everyday!

This is a sweet post.

Hugs.

Nook and Cranny said...

I truly believe all things happen for a reason and your story is proof of my thoughts.
So nice of you to share with all of us.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Michele

Shirley said...

What a lovely friendship you both have now. It is a true Christmas Story! It was meant to be..
Beautiful..

Holly Lefevre said...

What an amazing story of how two people connected in this crazy blogging world. I got goosebumps! I am sharing this post on Tickled Pink tomorrow!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

This is so, so beautiful!

And I love your new floors and your use of red!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where Bloggers Create 2012

Where Bloggers Create 2012
July 14th, 2012

Where Bloggers Create 2013

Where Bloggers Create 2013
July 12th, 2013!

2nd Annual Dress Form Ball

2nd Annual Dress Form Ball
March 11th,2013

Annual Valentine Par-tay!!!

Annual Valentine Par-tay!!!
Feb. 7, 2014