I am a Victorian Soul, live in a small townhouse with my Hubby Joe, work full time night shift as an RN on a Hospital based Rehabilitation( Physical Medicine) Unit, have a small Craft Business on the side and I DABBLE IN A BIT OF THIS AND THAT!!!!


" IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN"
George Eliot
George Eliot was actually a pen name for a woman named Mary Anne Evans......


My One Little Word for 2014 is ME!!
Please click HERE to read about why I chose this word!!


PLEASE CLICK HERE to read Why I Returned to Blogging after a Break.....


Sunday, March 11, 2012

ARE YOU AN ORIGINAL OR A COOKIE CUTTER?

This is going to be one of those Reality Posts.....

First off, I want to THANK everyone who took the time to read my post,
" Do you ever think about what you post on your blog may mean to those who read it?"

You have made this post one of my Top 10 Posts!! Thanks so much for your Interest in that Post!

And once again, I have been touched by the kind words of another Blogger, Jan from Maison Newton.

I first met Jan when she commented on one of my posts and said that I am an original!
I laughed!
My Mother always got mad at me because I never cared what other people thought about what I did and I did whatever I wanted. My Mother, unfortunately, lived her whole life worried about what other people would say and always tried to be like everyone else.

Then I discovered that Jan devoted an entire post to Debbie-Dabble!

I was shocked, touched and extremely honored.

Please click HERE to read Jan's post on Debbie-Dabble.

Flowers that Joe bought for me on March 8, the 37th Anniversary of our First Date!!

Now PLEASE do not think I am patting myself on the back but Jan felt that I have a "unique personal style" and that my home is a "Happy Feeling" home and is not a "Cookie Cutter" home.

Jan is a very straight forward and outspoken individual and says what she thinks. I am pretty much the same way even though it may not come across on my Blog. My Dad always said to me " Don't let anyone use you as a door mat".
And in the profession I am in as a Nurse, My Dad taught me well and I do not take a back seat to anyone! Does that surprise you?

And I need to say that Jan gets me!
I like to be different and always have. Whether it is my hair, what I wear or my home. I have always been a non-conformist and have usually been in trouble because of it!
LOL!

There are a lot of great ideas out there in Blog land and many have given me inspiration BUT I feel I have not copied these ideas but I have incorporated them into my own personal decor style. I know what I love and what makes me feel happy in my own home so I do NOT follow the popular decorating trends and never have. Well, I may have when I was in my early 20's, very young and very stupid. But then I decided to let my heart do the talking ....not other people!

I can not travel due to my health issues and when I realized this, I decided to make my home into the place where I would most want to stay when on vacation. So I made my home into what I call my own little Country Victorian Bed and Breakfast.

I know my style is not " popular " right now and I know it is not for everyone but truly, I don't care. It makes me happy and when I walk through that front door every morning after working all night in a very stressful job, I want to drop to my knees and kiss the ground because I am so glad to be home and I feel that my home envelops me with comfort.

After all, isn't that what we all want? I often say that I could survive very nicely if I committed a crime and was placed on one year of house arrest. I would find enough things to do that I would not be bored and would never want to leave my home.

Now I do admire many different decorating styles that I see out there in Blogland. BUT I admire them in their homes, not in mine because I know that particular style is not for me personally.

So you see, Jan has paid me the highest compliment that anyone can in my book because she said I do not have a "cookie cutter" house!
Thanks so much , Jan!!

I guess this is what I have strived to portray on my blog for 2 + years. My Blog is an expression of ME!

Not anyone else!

That is why I try to keep my Blog as personal as I can. I use my own pics as my Headers and pick out my own backgrounds to match those pics. I do not have it professionally done nor do I want it to be professionally done. I pick out music on my Playlist that describes what I like and how I am feeling at the time or to go with a particular post. Most of the content on my Blog is about Me, my Family and Friends and my Home. I do not use pictures from other sites if I don't have anything to Blog about. I seem to always have something to Blog about....

Now PLEASE DO NOT TAKE OFFENSE by what I am going to say. This is just my own opinion....

Many Bloggers out there talk about "Growing their Blogs".
Okay, I can see this if you are using your blog to promote a business or to make money on your blog through advertising. And there is nothing wrong with this.
And I will be honest with you. When I first started to blog, I thought it would be an excellent way to promote my little Craft Business if I returned to selling on Ebay. But I have never returned to selling on Ebay.....Maybe some day....don't have the time or the energy for it right now.

Been Decorating for Easter!

And PLEASE DO NOT TAKE OFFENSE but right now, I am adamant about NOT advertising on my blog. This is MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION about my own blog and no one else's. I have learned to ignore the advertising that everyone seems to be including on their blogs.

I work full time at a very stressful job and I am paid much more money than many of my Male counterparts and have far better benefits than even the United States Post Office (Remember Hubby is a letter carrier). I am and will always be the major bread winner so I do not need to advertise on my blog at this point.

Living Room Easter Tree All Lit Up


HOWEVER, this does not mean that when I need to quit working and go on Disability, which is surely in my future, that I would not consider advertising. I have earned my own money since I started baby sitting for 4 different families at the age of 12 years old. I can't even imagine not making my own money. My Mother always told me to " never be dependent on a man". She worked full time her whole life.

A Glimpse of Easter Decorations

BUT that is something I will think about when the time comes. And so much so, that I may consider laying Debbie-Dabble to rest and starting a brand new blog as I feel that I then would have compromised the principals that I have tried to convey on Debbie-Dabble.

Sneak Peek of Pink Easter Tree

Now as I said, this is my own personal opinion and I realize that many need to advertise on their blogs for an income. I have come to terms with this after being very disappointed with all the advertisements out in Blogland and how some Blogs that I was originally attracted to have now turned into what looks like to me, Professional and Business like Blogs. Now as I have said before, I have learned to just ignore the advertisements on a lot of Blogs.

I hope I didn't offend anyone.....
Everybody needs to do what they want on their own blog because it is their personal Blog.
Blogging is a hobby for me, a wonderful stress reliever, not a business or a profession. I already have a profession.

And if I inspire you with something I do, I hope you take that idea and fit it into your own personal style!

I am glad that I am not a " Cookie Cutter" . I am an "Original".

So what are you?

As you can see I have been busy Decorating for Easter. Come back again for my next post when I start to share my Easter decorations!!

Did you set your clocks ahead? I only had to work 7 hours instead of 8 ! Whoa!

I am linking up to these parties:
Seasonal Sunday
Sunday's Best
Masterpiece Monday
Show and Tell Monday
Blue Monday
Mod Vintage Mix Monday
Metamorphosis Monday
Cozy Home Party Tuesday
Home Decor and Organizing Link Party
Wow Us Wednesday
Delightfully Inspiring Thursday
Open House Party Thursday
Homemaking Link Up Party
Home Sweet Home Friday
Show and Tell Friday
Potpourri Friday
Tickled Pink Friday
Pink Saturday

Please take some time to visit these terrific hosts and all those joining in on the fun!

Thanks so much for stopping by today and every day that you take the time to visit with me!

Hugs,
Debbie




16 comments:

Jan said...

Dear Debbie,
First of all, thanks so much for writing about my little blog. As you know, I don't write about things just for the sake of putting something "out there." I was so happy to have come across your blog for many reasons that I won't go into, but I do have to tell you that upon further exploring I am seeing more and more similarities in our lives and I find that just amazing. I mean, what are the odds? Second of all, I love your Easter tree and mantle (mantel? - according to my dictionary it can be spelled both ways)! They look soooo pretty with all the pastel colors and spring/Easter-related items. The lit up tree must be especially beautiful at night. I have to say that this year, my very first attempt at doing any kind of decorating for spring/Easter, has made me happy. My living room mantle is the first thing I see when I walk into my house after a long hard day at work, and it makes me smile. I am pleased because I did it, for one thing! And I am pleased with how it turned out, as it strikes me as very pretty whenever I cast my eyes upon it, which is often as I spend much time in the living room. I have recently learned that there are such things as battery-operated LED strings of lights and I am going to shop around for some. I would love to see little twinkling lights on my mantle in the evenings. I believe that one's home should make one smile and feel happy and contented. We all live such hectic lives today, and the world has seemed to have gotten so mean, vile, and cruel. We all need a restful, peaceful haven to come home to, to shelter us, coccoon us and to help us revive for the stress (not to mention battles) we may face the next day. There is nothing like being able to kick off my shoes and air out my stinky feet on my ottoman, kick back with a glass of wine, and let my photographs, souvenirs from my travels and my collections that are all over the house, and let my furnishings and comforts lovingly put together soothe and calm me. Perhaps if more people loved their homes and were as happy with them as we are in ours, the world would be a little bit kinder and gentler place. Third, I LOVE Adele's music, LOL! Thanks so much for featuring her in so many of your song selections. Fourth, I will be visiting from time to to time to see what you are doing. I see that you have "Roses, Roses" in your craft and sewing room. I bought that print many years ago from a friend's sister who sells Home Interiors and it hung in my living room and then my bedroom for many years! It only got retired in 2009 when I finally had my bedroom painted after 19 years from pink to a soft greyish-white. White-ish grey? Can you imagine a cookie cutter household keeping a room one color for 19 years??? LOL!

Deanna said...

Miss Debbie,
I absolutely loved what you wrote. I feel sad when some of my very first blogger friends lose what I most loved about their blogs. Their personal stamp. How boring would it be if we all lived in the same kind of houses and had the same decor? My style changes from year to year. I love mid-century, cottage, Victorian and I'm sure there are many other styles that I have yet to discover!

Nature delights in diversity, why can't human beings? I have learned so much from my blogger friends about ideas for the home but mostly, I have always been grateful to have had blogger friends that stand up for themselves and put their foot down. I do not segregate blogs. They are all equal. What ever they might be interested in, then it will interest me as well.

You are so right about having personal photos on a blog. I love that and feel it is an important part of blogging. My favorite thing about a blog is when that particular person has a music box. I sometimes spend hours listening to their music choices and to my delight, will discover songs that I've never heard before. I always race over to Project Playlist or Mixpod and find the song and put it on one of my playlists.

How wonderful to catch this post on your blog. It really makes me think and remember the blogs that I used to read before their authors decided to go for blogger stardom.

Stay true because there is only one you!

Deanna :D

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary said...

Hi Deb! I loved this post, not only for what you said but for the gorgeous Easter tree. Can't wait to see your pretty decorations for Easter. I agree with Jan and Deanna. Deanna said it perfectly, "before they went for blogger stardom." The advertising totally turns me off. Your blog is an absolute favorite and has been since the first time I clicked on the pictures of your home. I fell in love with your decor. I don't follow the trends. It's probably a good thing because I couldn't afford to keep up with them. I have always loved old homes, antique furniture and vintage things from dishes to clothing to accessories. I am an old soul inside I guess. Hope you have a wonderful evening dear friend and thanks for being you!
Love and hugs!!

Mary said...

Deb, that was my delete above, I had a couple of typos that I fixed.

Kim K. said...

I love your honesty and I love our kindred spirit when it comes to year round trees. This weekend we went to bronner's Christmas wonderland in frankenmuth. I thought of you the entire weekend. It was a spectacular display of holiday fantasyland. Eye candy as far as you could see.

Happy decorating dear blogging friend. Bring on the Easter decor!!!!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

yOu go Debbie, first I have to say, you are married to a gem. I don't know any guys that would celebrate the anniversary of a first date! That's why we like you Debbie, because we all feel like you are a friend, we know you and love that you do your own thing!

Carol

Holly Lefevre said...

I feel like each blog is that bloggers personal space and they can do or not do whatever they want (that is is legal of course!). My blog have changed and evolved and it not what it was when I started. I respect your decision for no ads. I only recently put ads on my blogs (and am still on the fence about how I feel about them).

Everyone seems to have an opinion about what everyone else should do on their blog/Facebook/Twitter/Pinterest accts. For me I say "key each person do as they wish and leave it alone." Every person blogs for a different reason and those reasons should be respected.

What you wrote should not offend anyone...it was from your heart and all about you...and just perfect.

xinex said...

Jan is right, Debbie. You have your own style but that's what makes blogging fun. You created what you like and express yourself. I am glad I met you even through blogging cause I sure enjoy that style...Christine

SmilingSally said...

Thanks for sharing your blues--especially the Easter ones.

You don't offend me by not having ads; I really dislike their interference.

Happy Blue Monday, Debbie.

Cafe au lait said...

Lovely post. Can't wait to see your Easter decorations.

My Blue Monday.

Cathy @ My 1929 Charmer said...

I consider my blog to be "part" of me. Bloggin a little bit less than a year, and am still learning, but I'm not one who "follows" but am inspired by others. My own is my haven. I hate all the advertising, I was just on blog, when all of a sudden a commercial starting playing. Gosh don't we get unidated enough with commercials in our live. Don't have any yet, never started my blog to be a business. Love your writing about this and thanks for sharing your creative inspiration over at Sunday's Best.

Kim, USA said...

Those are beautiful. Can't wait to for Easter too. Love your decoration.

BM

Beth said...

Debbie, I enjoyed your post and agree with much of what you've said. I don't know that it's all that simple to make money blogging. Certainly not like the salary you are currently making (at least not for many!) Blogging is a hobby for me. I LOVE "meeting" new people, and learning new things. Have a glorious week, Debbie!
Beth

cassandrasminicorner said...

Can't wait for the Easter:)

Visiting for Blue Monday- hope you can stop by:)

http://www.sweetposh.info/2012/03/eternity-bangles.html

I’m inviting you to join my $50 give away, hope you can join. 1 day and 14 hrs left..Visit here:

http://www.mommys4seasonsjourney.com/2012/03/technology-in-our-lives.html

Tisha said...

Yes, your home does remind me of a wonderful bed and breakfast! I'd love to come and stay and just seek out all the little details in each of your displays. Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where Bloggers Create 2012

Where Bloggers Create 2012
July 14th, 2012

Where Bloggers Create 2013

Where Bloggers Create 2013
July 12th, 2013!

2nd Annual Dress Form Ball

2nd Annual Dress Form Ball
March 11th,2013

Annual Valentine Par-tay!!!

Annual Valentine Par-tay!!!
Feb. 7, 2014