I am a Victorian Soul, live in a small townhouse with my Hubby Joe, work full time night shift as an RN on a Hospital based Rehabilitation( Physical Medicine) Unit, have a small Craft Business on the side and I DABBLE IN A BIT OF THIS AND THAT!!!!


" IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN"
George Eliot
George Eliot was actually a pen name for a woman named Mary Anne Evans......

" IF YOU DON'T DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO, YOU'RE A FOOL! "
Joan Rivers


My One Little Word for 2014 is ME!!
Please click HERE to read about why I chose this word!!

BLOGGING FOR FUN AND FRIENDSHIP!!!!!!



Sunday, January 6, 2013

Depression Glass, Angels and Memories

Well, I have Christmas down in the Living Room except for the Tree and Village.  Yes, it will take me about 2 weeks to get all of  Christmas packed away. Then I will decorate for Winter and Valentine's Day. I would have it done much quicker if I wasn't working full time......

 I want to first start with Thanking Kathryn over at The Dedicated House for picking my post
My One Little Word for 2013 as her favorite post from last week's Make It Monday Party!!
Thanks so much , Kathryn!! Please visit Make It Pretty Monday!!

AND

I want to Thanks Cathy over at My 1929 Charmer for featuring my post ,
Christmas Home Tour2012, Part 2, the Living Room as the second most viewed post from her monthly
 Sunday's Best Party !
Thanks so much , Cathy!! Please go over and check out Sunday's Best Party!!

But today I want to show you my Living Room Hutch.....

    It  was Joe's Great Grandmother's hutch and they were going to throw it out....
 I refinished it standing right here as it was in pretty bad shape......

We added the mirrors in the back and decided not to replace the glass in the door and leave it open without the door....

I loved this Hutch from the day I stepped foot in Ba Ba Barna's house.

  Ba Ba is Polish, Slovak and Russian for Grandmother!
The Christmas nativity sets have been taken out and now the inside of this hutch is back to normal....
It is now filled with Depression Glass, Angels and Memories.....
Top Shelf

All the white angels came in sets of 2 for $12.95 at Sam's Club about 10 - 12 years ago. They were Christmas items but I love angels so they stay out year round.....
 In the middle of this Shelf is a set that I actually bought at a Flea Market...
I loved the color and it went well with my Living Room.

And then I found 2 glasses to match.....
The plate was my Mother's given to her by her Aunt (Father's Sister). Her Aunt was rather well off and lived in New York City....

I love the yellow background color of this plate....

So I thought my Mother's pieces of yellow Depression Glass would be perfect to display here in this Hutch.
 The tea cup and saucer and the oval vegetable bowl in the background are the pattern, Lorain Basket.

 That is a round vegetable bowl in the back on this side.

 I remember my Mother using those bowls for Holiday dinner. The mashed potatoes were always in the oval bowl....

Second Shelf

On the second shelf are more angels  along with several pieces of Iris Herringbone Depression Glass.
 The vase in the middle was my Mother's and I picked the other pieces in both the clear and iridescent finish at Yard Sales and Flea Markets.


Third Shelf

On this shelf is more of my Mother's yellow Depression Glass in Lorain Basket .

The mercury glass votives were bought at Michael's at 90% off several years ago....
 The pattern of the pitcher is Florentine.

The crystal tray with the sugar and creamer are Joe's Maternal Grandmother's.
 I do have other angels in this Hutch. See the one on the far right.? I have 4 of those and they were bought when a store went out of business.
My Mother told me that she got her Depression Glass dishes at the movies where they gave them out if you went to a show......
 So this is how my Living Room Hutch normally looks.....
In a recent post on my Christmas Blog, A Debbie-Dabble Christmas,
I mentioned that I bought these aqua mercury glass candlesticks in Burlington Coat Factory for 75% off.
 They were $2.39 each!

You can see that they found a home on top of the Hutch....

    I just realized that you can see the Tree reflected in the mirror!!  LOL!!

   I decided to leave the garland on the mirror up for now.  I like the way it looks....
The aqua candlesticks fit in nicely, I think.....
 Did you notice my Tassel Dolls?

Now I have to get the whole house back to normal....
 You may have noticed that I have tea lights on each of the Shelves....
 A nice glow at night with the rest of the lamps lit in the Living Room.....

 Now I know many of you would paint this piece white.

Since it is a family Heirloom, I wouldn't dream of painting it and being a Victorian soul, I like the wood stained pieces.

I am having an exacerbation of my IBS and am really under the weather

so

It will take me some time before I get everything back to normal ......

Whatever "normal" may be....

I am linking up to these parties:

Sunday's Best

Masterpiece Monday
Blue Monday
Mod Vintage Mix Monday
Metamorphosis Monday
Make It Pretty Monday
Mop It Up Mondays
 DIY Project Parade

Cowgirl Up! Creative Linky Party
Knick of Time Tuesday
You're Gonna Love It Tuesdays
Tea Time Tuesday
Tea Cup Tuesday
Tabletop Tuesday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Tweak It Tuesdays
Totally Transformed Tuesdays 
Show Me What You Got Tuesdays
Tout It Tuesdays 
Twirl and Take a Bow Party

All Star Blogger Block Party
What's It Wednesday
Wow Us Wednesday
Rednesday
Winter Blues Wednesday Party
Wednesdays Adorned From Above Linky Party
Primp Your Stuff Wednesdays
HOME Party on Wednesdays
Welcome Home Wednesday Party
 Wallis Farms Daily Walk Link Party

DIY Holiday Highlights
Delightfully Inspiring Thursday
Treasure Hunt Thursdays
Show Off Your Stuff Party on Thursdays
Home and Garden Party Thursday
Share your Creations Thursday
Share Your Cup Thursday
Vintage Thingie Thursday
Transformation Thursday
Inspired Creations Linky Party
Time Travel Thursday
 Open House Party
 Everything But The Kitchen Sink


Home Sweet Home Friday
Show and Tell Friday
Be Inspired Fridays
Thrifty Things Friday
Simple and Sweet Fridays
Tickled Pink Party
Inspired Weekends
 Flaunt It Fridays
Fabulous Fridays
Inspire Me Fridays 
 Favorite Friday Party

Weekend ShowOff Party
Saturday Nite Special
Pink Saturday
 Strut Your Stuff Saturdays
One Great Idea Saturday Party

Seasonal Sunday
Sunny Simple Sundays
Bouquet of Talent Linky Party
Sunday SHOW-licious Craft Showcase 
Clever Chicks Blog Hop

Please take some time to visit these terrific hosts and all those joining in on the fun!

Thanks so much for stopping by today and every day that you take the time to visit with me!

Hugs,
Debbie




32 comments:

Kim K. said...

Very pretty dishes. I understand how long it takes to put everything away. We still have Christmas things lurking about the house. I'll look forward to your Valentines display. We have Chinese New Year on Feb 10th. My sunroom tree will get a makeover soon with CNY celebrations.

Penny Phillips said...

I love all of your depression glass, but am really envying your new aqua mercury glass candle sticks! One of my facebook friends was wanting idea's for a Valentine tree, so I sent her your way! I told her that you had some of the prettiest ones I had seen! Hugs, Penny

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Hi Debbie,
Thanks for stopping by and visiting. I just love your china cabinet, that's what we always called them too. The sparkle is amazing and I understood when you said you mirrored the back. Gotta do that to one of mine too. I strung a string of white christmas lights through my china for light and sparkle. Love how it looks at night.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Such lovely pieces, Debbie. Hope you're feeling better soon. Love all the sparkle!

Blessings,
Sandi

Terri said...

Hello Debbie,
Your new hutch is so lovely! Wow! You would never know it was in bad shape looking at the pictures. Everything looks so beautiful in it. Especially the night images. All your glassware is so pretty. The best part is that you got it from your mother or other family member. There is nothing better than china with family memories!
Feel better soon : )
Hugs,
Terri

GinaBVictorian said...

Yay for wood stained pieces! So glad you didn't paint it. It looks very pretty with all the dishes in it. My mom has some of those same pieces in her china cabinet. I like the color of that light yellow depression glass, it reminds me of lemonade. Thanks for sharing!

xinex said...

Wow! That is a lot to put away, Debbie, but I am sure it is worth all the trouble for enjoying all the beauty throughout the season. Happy New Year!....Christine

xinex said...

I collect yellow depression dishes too but I have a hard time finding them and adding to my collection...Christine

Diane said...

Debbie - I love following you down memory lane! I have always preferred things with a history to new one and how lucky you are to have all of these beautiful pieces from your family - cannot believe the hutch was to be thrown out! Hope you feel better soon and Happy New Year!!

Susie said...

Debbie, I love the hutch and all your beautiful angels. So sweet. xoxox, Susie

Maureen said...

Oh Debbie... hope you're feeling better. Your china cabinet is beautiful! I too would rather keep the dark wood (being a Victorian lover at heart as well!)

Oh and I HAD to laugh at your comment on my blog today; yes, when someone asks about dusting, that is my answer too! "What is this 'dusting' you speak of?" ;)

Take care.

Darlene said...

Love all the depression glass and knickknacks. All very pretty. I too bought some silver mercury glass at Burlington's a few years ago I think for 2.50 cents each for the candleholders. I was so happy because mercury glass is expensive online. I collect pink depression glass my aunt mostly finds me and she is giving me a pink pitcher next week so I can't wait. take care, Darlene

Jeannee said...

Debbie, I LOVE THIS HUTCH!!! I have my Uncle Fritz's hutch in storage & if I had my druthers, it would be sitting in my small cottage apartment & looking very similar :) This is just the grandest!

(((DEBBIE))) on the IBS - I know all about THAT, unfortunately ;-

Zaa said...

Dear Debbie ..Such a beautiful Hutch , with so many beautiful pieces... Love your angels and the depression glass... Isn't it exciting to seasonally collect.... and display...It looks and sounds like you get a lot of fulfillment from refurbishing and displaying your many endearing china pieces... It's such such fun to share especially at teatime...Thanks and happy New Year.

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Debbie,
Your hutch is just gorgeous. The details and lines are stunning. All your pretties look beautiful inside with the reflection of the mirrors. Love your white angels and that center plate is so pretty. My favorite is the gorgeous mercury glass candlesticks. What a find!!
Glad you shared pics at night too. Just beautiful and cozy.
Congrats on your posts being picked for favorites and visits!!

Hugs, CM

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Deb, you have such beautiful collections. Don't you just love how those exquisite pieces were just given out as prizes long ago. I guess they weren't considered so exquisite then. Take care of yourself and take the time to rest. Things will still be there when you feel better..Happy Wednesday..Judy

Karie's Chic Creations said...

You have so many beautiful things, thank you for sharing your lovely home. I always like to visit and see what your vignettes are and the beautiful pieces of furniture you have. Hugs, Karie

Susan said...

Hi Debbie...Hope so much you feel better soon.

The hutch is gorgeous and the angels and glass inside are very, very lovely.

Thanks for all the great photos, too. It was a treat to see this post! Great job. Susan

Debi @ Adorned From Above said...

Your hutch looks great. Thanks so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop.
Charly and Debi @ Adorned From Above
Melissa @ Keep It Simple and Fun

Denise Marie said...

nicely displayed.

Jan said...

Happy New Year, Debbie and family! Ba Ba's hutch is beautiful. I find it unbelievable that anyone would just want to throw out a lovely piece like this. What are people thinking sometimes? And no, you definitely should not paint it white (or any other color, please! It is gorgeous as you restored it. And, I expect in a year or two, all of a sudden we will see a wave of regret sweeping the decorating blogs of people who destroyed beautifully-patinaed dark wood finishes, including old-growth mahogany and rosewood, as they realize that all white all the time is just damn BORING, especially filled with all the painted white stuff they have so carefully staged inside, including chopped up 100 year old books. Geez!

Ivy and Elephants said...

Just fabulous, Debbie. I feel the same, each piece has a memory that makes it all the more special. I love that you saved this gorgeous hutch.
Hugs,
Patti

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

That hutch is GORGEOUS!! And all of your pretties look wonderful. Thank you for the sweet shout-out! Thank you for sharing this at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Jann Olson said...

Debbie, I am so happy that you rescued the hutch. It is all so beautiful, but my favorite is the depression glass. I love the set that was your mothers and the one that was Joe's grandmothers! Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
Hugs,
Jann

Debra said...

OH Debbie this hutch and everything in it is priceless and OF COURSE you would not paint it white,lol...

Sometimes painting makes sense but oh boy I've seen some treasures in blogland painted white and they should not have been touched

Jody and Stan said...

Debbie, Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful depression glass/ angels/ and memories at Simple & Sweet Fridays. Love the hutch, perfect wood piece!

Jody

Peggy Hale said...

I love your hutch and all the pretties. I too collect depression glass but I collect only pink in any pattern. Thanks so much for linking up at Transformed Tuesday. Hugs, Peggy

Pamela said...

Thanx for partying Debbie! Everything looks beautiful.

The Tablescaper said...

Such beautiful collections!

- The Tablescaper

Kathy Moody said...

Wow, you have such a wonderful collection! Your hutch is so awesome. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent. :)

Hugs
Kathy

Marti Cooper said...

Your hutch turned out great, it is so beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing it and all the lovely decorations at SHOW-licious Craft Showcase!

Marti

redcrowgreencrow said...

Such a pretty collection! Thanks for sharing on Inspired Weekends.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...