I am a Victorian Soul, live in a small townhouse with my Hubby Joe, work full time night shift as an RN on a Hospital based Rehabilitation( Physical Medicine) Unit, have a small Craft Business on the side and I DABBLE IN A BIT OF THIS AND THAT!!!!


" IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN"
George Eliot
George Eliot was actually a pen name for a woman named Mary Anne Evans......

" IF YOU DON'T DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO, YOU'RE A FOOL! "
Joan Rivers


My One Little Word for 2014 is ME!!
Please click HERE to read about why I chose this word!!


PLEASE CLICK HERE to read Why I Returned to Blogging after a Break.....


Saturday, January 12, 2013

Outdoor Winter Decor 2013

Well, I FINALLY made some head way in changing over the Christmas decorations to Winter and Valentine's Day decorations.

But before I share my Outdoor Winter Decor with you today, I want to show you what took up my time last week.

This is the closet in my downstairs Hall way. The hall way takes you from the Living Room to the Kitchen and past the Powder Room.

My Hot water heater is inside of this closet , through a trap door , under the steps.
I worked all night Monday night , came home and went to bed.  When I awoke and came down stairs, I was sloshing through water in my hall way.

Now we had been waiting for the water heater to go because it was hitting 8 years since we had it installed. Ours have gone about every 6 years religiously.

So I opened the closet doors and starting flinging the coats out.....
I just want to add that my coats take up that one quarter of the closet on the right. The rest are all Joe's coats.  Do you realize how many coats and uniforms and all that goes with them, a Letter Carrier for the Post Office has??????? He needs a Walk In Closet, not me!

Anyway, after I flung everything out of the closet and pulled the trap door out of there, I was able to get into the area under the steps where the water heater was and shut off the main valve.  A neighbor then came over and we turned off the rest of the valves and the circuit breaker for the hot water heater.
Not only was there water in the area where the heater was, and may I add that I store some of the Christmas decorations in there ( all in tubs so nothing was ruined), but there was water in the Living, on the ceramic tile to the front door, down the hall way to the kitchen and in the Powder Room.
We keep boxes of towels for something like this so I was throwing down towels everywhere ....
 I got out a fan to start drying out things.....
When Joe came home, he ran down to Sears which is about 5 minutes away and bought a wet vac.....
And we used the Wet Vac over and over again to get the water out of the carpets......
What a mess!! Called the plumber and he installed the new one the following day ....

So that was the start of my New Year.

Now , I have chosen the word JOY as my One Little Word for 2013.......

I found JOY in the fact that I must have found the leak ( did I mention that water was spraying out of the top of the heater too!!!) soon after the heater blew because the mess could have been a lot worse, like flooding my entire downstairs!!
 I have had neighbors who were either sleeping all night, or working all day, and had their entire downstairs flooded.
And thankfully, no water made it next door to damage anything in my neighbor's home.

So this little incident put me behind in taking down Christmas and re-decorating the house.

Back to my Winter Outdoor Decor......
We are having temps. in the 40's and 50's, the January Thaw as it is known in these parts, so that made it easy to take down the outside Christmas decor and change it over to Winter decor.....
But we will be dropping down to high temps. in the 20's by the end of the week so my Winter decor will fit right in with the weather here in Northeast Pa.

I left up the evergreen garland around the front door and the railing and added snow flakes and acorn ornaments to it......
 I left out the "Let It Snow" Penguin and added some Winter themed Slates ........
I also used some of the larger snowflakes from the Dollar Store on the railings around the Front Porch....


I had bought the snow flakes last year and bought more this year for 75% off for a pack of 12 at A.C.Moore.....
I left the Warm White LED lights on the garland too.....



This is my Winter Wreath that I made years ago by simply attaching a Flea Market bought pine cone wreath to an evergreen wreath......
And then attached the "Let It Snow" sign to it which I bought at Target several years ago....


I also left out my child hood sled.....

Notice that JOY is written on the wooden Mitten!!
Added some Winter Signs and Slates which I can hang easily on my weeping mortar....
I don't have a Winter Flag so I hung this one......

I took the Red Poinsettias out of the Basket on the Front porch , leaving the greenery and pine cones and adding a birch Bird house........
Snowflakes added to the garland on the railing....
The Bird Plaque is from Target on Clearance years ago....

The bells are from the Dollar Store....

You can see that we need to keep our shovels and Ice Melt on the Front Porch in the Winter here in NEPA!!
Larger Snowflakes from the Dollar Tree and a Welcome  Slate with a winter scene.........



A Winter Evergreen Wreath on the Front Window, bought at Target after Christmas several years ago....
You can see we still have some snow....
Lighted Snow Flakes are in the upstairs windows......

The front porch will stay this way until the beginning of Feb.  Then I will hang a lighted Valentine's Day Heart in the Living Room window and a Valentine's Day wreath on the Front Door.......

 At the end of Feb., I will take it all down and hopefully, get the front porch ready for Spring.....

I just bought this cute sign at the Christmas Tree Shop for $2.00 today......
  And here is where I humg it....


Now you know I am going to show you what it looks like at night all lit up, don't you????

 Here is what the house looks like at night from down in our parking lot.....
 Definitely brightens up the Winter Nights....
 I kept the spot light out and shone it on the railing....
 As we walk up the steps.....



 The Front Door....



The lights really make the snow flakes show up........

The large snow flakes really shine with the spot light on them......

The side of the front porch by the flower bed......

From a different angle.....


The Flower Bed under the Living Room window......
The Living Room window.....


And that is what the front of our home looks like decorated for Winter......

UPDATED:  And it all looks better and more like Winter with a bit of Snow......

 
 And at night.......



 Do you decorate for Winter?????

If you missed my post on my dear friend Anne Marie's home decorated for Christmas, Please click HERE

I am linking up to these parties:

Masterpiece Monday
Blue Monday
Mod Vintage Mix Monday
Metamorphosis Monday
Make It Pretty Monday
Mop It Up Mondays
 DIY Project Parade

Cowgirl Up! Creative Linky Party
Knick of Time Tuesday
You're Gonna Love It Tuesdays
Tabletop Tuesday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Tweak It Tuesdays
Totally Transformed Tuesdays 
Show Me What You Got Tuesdays
Tout It Tuesdays 
 Twirl and Take a Bow Party
Transformation Tuesday

All Star Blogger Block Party
What's It Wednesday
Wow Us Wednesday
Rednesday
Winter Blues Wednesday Party
Wednesdays Adorned From Above Linky Party
Primp Your Stuff Wednesdays
HOME Party on Wednesdays
Welcome Home Wednesday Party
 Wallis Farms Daily Walk Link Party

DIY Holiday Highlights
Delightfully Inspiring Thursday
Treasure Hunt Thursdays
Show Off Your Stuff Party on Thursdays
Home and Garden Party Thursday
Share Your Cup Thursday
Vintage Thingie Thursday
Transformation Thursday
Inspired Creations Linky Party
Time Travel Thursday
 Open House Party
 Everything But The Kitchen Sink

Home Sweet Home Friday
Show and Tell Friday
Be Inspired Fridays
Thrifty Things Friday
Simple and Sweet Fridays
Tickled Pink Party
Inspired Weekends
Inspire Me Fridays
Favorite Friday Party

Weekend ShowOff Party
Saturday Nite Special
Pink Saturday
 Strut Your Stuff Saturdays
One Great Idea Saturday Party

Seasonal Sunday
Sunday's Best
Sunny Simple Sundays
Bouquet of Talent Linky Party
Sunday SHOW-licious Craft Showcase 
Clever Chicks Blog Hop

Please take some time to visit these terrific hosts and all those joining in on the fun!

Thanks so much for stopping by today and every day that you take the time to visit with me!

Hugs,
Debbie



34 comments:

Penny Phillips said...

I have never decorated for winter..what a great idea! Yours makes your home look warm and cozy. That ship has sailed here...I have already started Valentines decor. I will do it next year though. I have been busy moving things around and cleaning..must be early spring fever! Glad to hear your water problems turned out so well. Hugs, Penny

NanaDiana said...

Oh-what a mess that water heater created but you are right it could have been so much worse. I love all your sweet winter decor. I think you have had some warmer weather than normal this year, too? I didn't do much outside this year for winter. A couple of sleds and that is it. Hope you have a good Sunday- xo Diana

Marilou Bain said...

Glad you are ok after your water heater problems Debbie, have a good week at work, your decorations look really nice and winters!
Hugs Marilou

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Oh no! I had no idea that water heaters went every 6-8 years...Yikkes I am due, but it is in the garage. Oh what a mess. Your outside decor is wonderful, I bet your neighbors love it!!

Carol

priscilla said...

Sorry about your water heater ! But glad you got it cleaned up with no damage !
Your outdoor winter decorations are wonderful ! I love the ice skate sign ! Those big snowflakes from the dollar store are great.. I only bought 2 wish I would have gotten more !
Next year I am going to decorate for winter on the porch after Chritstmas.. looks so empty on mine with all the Christmas decorations down !

fromourporchtoyours@gmail.com said...

Debbie-

OH....That water heater...you poor thing.I would have been pulling my hair out. You seemed to show grace under pressure. Good for you. The house looks great and Joe does a wonderful job on the carpets. Who can ask for a better husband.
Love, love, love your blogs. Your so inspirational and have wonderful ideas. Waiting for our home is driving me crazy that I can decorate like I want to, but I can still gather for my stash. :)
Can wait to see more of yours ideas this year. Be well my friend.
Hugs
Lisa Rose
www.ourenchantedcottage.com

we three dogs and me said...

I can sympathize with you as My roof leaked in my bedroom as I was sleeping. I stepped out of bed and the rug was sopping wet. As I am alone here I was in the middle of the night sopping up the worst water and using my carpet cleaner to sop up my area rug. Luckily it trailed right down the side of the bed.It took a long time to dry but lucky it didn't warp my oak floor.

Holly Lefevre said...

Oh I understand the hot water heater woes...we have 2 at this house and one burst the day before I had my last baby...then one year later the other one died and then it died again. The worst was the one at our other house...on the third floor - kind of like yours under the trapdoor! Glad that is all fixed.

Now you outdoor decor is positively magical! You really have a way with decorating!

Lina Gustina said...

Your winter decoration is very lovely!
Glad to know the water heater problem can be solved soon.

http://www.1sthappyfamily.com/2013/01/happy-monday.html

Karen said...

Hi Debbie, love the winter decor, your home is so beautiful, indoors and out! The water heater problem was a mess, but you tackled it with such gusto and good spirits. I would have been grousing, but not you! You're such an inspiration!

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Sorry about your hot water heater. They can create such a mess.
I love all of your winter decorations. The lights make things look so festive during these cold winter months.

SmilingSally said...

No, I don't decorate for Winter; however, I already have my Valentine's Day things out. I don't have much.

Joe is such a good guy--on his knees after a day's work. What a mess!

Happy Blue Monday, Debbie.

HansHB said...

We do not decotate for winter!
Happy Blue Monday to you!

Audrey said...

Hi Debbie ... so sorry about your water heater trouble. Ours is in the garage and we have a drain pan under it and piped outside so if it springs a leak, hopefully, it will all run outside. Love your winter decorations, sure takes up the emptiness when all the Christmas stuff in taken down.
Blessings,
Audrey Z.
Timeless Treasures
thanks for stopping by and leaving a nice comment.)

Shelia said...

Hi Debbie! I'm so sorry to hear about your water heater! This happens to most of us from time to time. Smart of your hubby to go get the wet vac. Regardless your outside looks wonderful as always. Love your sweet winter touches and the sparkling snowflakes in the windows are so cute.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Mari said...

Hi Debbie,
I love all of your outdoor winter decor....
But oh boy what a mess with your hot water heater :/

Hugs~
Mari

Shannon @ A Cozy Place Called Home said...

Sounds like you have a good attitude and quick thinking to handle the water heater issue so effeciently. I bet your neighbors love your ;pretty outdoor decor too. Most people are so eager to get their Christmas stuff put away, so it's a treat for them to get to see so much winter decor in what is otherwise such a dreary time outdoors. Thanks for dropping by my blog to say hello! Hope you have a great week Debbie.

Susan said...

Hi Debbie...

Well, that beginning to the new year was a real "wash out." SOooo glad you knew how to take quick action. You even knew how to turn off the valve and everything.

Glad your hubs got the vacuum and everything, too.

Thanks so much for stopping by, Debbie, and for commenting, too.

I'm STILL taking down Christmas decor and you must be, too.

Susan

Jo May said...

I think the snowflakes are my favorite winter decor.
YIKES! water damage,my all time fear...hope things get back to norm soon.
~Jo @ LoblollyLane

Beth said...

Love your sled, your garland, the pine cone wreath, and the greens in the birdbath. Looks great! So sorry about your water heater and flooding but as you say it could have been worse, and I'm glad it was not. Take care!
xo Beth

Jan said...

This is SO disheartening. I just wrote a very long comment and it disappeared. What an awful experience for you to go through with your water heater(s). Have you considered having a shut-off valve added to the heater itself in case it springs a leak or suffers a catastrophic failure like yours did? I do not know how much it would cost, but it might be worth while, especially since you have gone through this so many times already. Geez! How awful!

I made additional comments about your front porch decorating, but now I'm too tired to try and reconstruct all of them. Hopefully this time this fricking Google ID, etc. will WORK -- for a change!

craftyles said...

Your house is so pretty lit up at night.I hope you get all the water out-we had a mess like that one time-it's alot of work to clean it up!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

The outside of your home looks beautiful, Debbie; love it! We have all the same snowflakes, including the big ones.
I'm glad you got your mess cleaned up. We have the same Wet Vac.
What a horrible thing to wake up to! And yes, I know all about the uniforms, jackets, and coats! Some of Hubby's jackets weigh a ton too.
Thank you for joining me for HOME today and have a good week, my dear friend.

Blessings,
Sandi

Bethany said...

Sorry about the water damage :( Love your decor, though! So wintery and homey. Beautiful!Thanks so much for sharing at Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop.
Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above
Bethany @ Whistle and Ivy

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Hi Debbie, If you can describe your troubles with such a cheerful tone then you certainly deserve much joy in your life! So glad it wasn't worse. We had one burst and it truly flooded our basement, lifting the tiles and warping the walls. Luckily our homeowners insurance covered the damage, but we had two sump pumps installed after that! Your winter decor transformation is wonderful. I don't like to see the empty spaces in my house after the holidays. I'm not looking forward to the cold temps expected next week! Linda

Carol L McKenna said...

Your winter decor is exquisite ~ sorry you had to go through all the water problem ~ but now you have a beautiful decorated door and wonderful photos ~ Wow!

(A Creative Harbor) ^_^

The Tablescaper said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your hot water issues, but your winter decorating is terrific!

Great to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

Leigh Anne Wilkes said...

Love your winter decor - especially the ice skates!. Wish I had kept mine from when I was a kid.
I just started a new Finding the Pretty & Delicious Linky Party on my blog this week - would love to have you stop by and share! http://www.yourhomebasedmom.com/finding-the-pretty-delicious-linky-party/

Stacey said...

Very pretty outdoor decor!
Thanks for linking up to the Creative Inspirations Party!
Stacey at Embracing Change

A Little Knick Knack said...

I'm so glad you got your water heater fixed! What a mess, but you have such a positive outlook on it, it's wonderful! I love your winter decorating! So festive and lovely. I love lights in the winter, they just make everything look cozy. :)

Jody and Stan said...

Debbie, Glad everything turned out with the water heater. I love all your beautiful photos at night. Thanks for sharing at Simple & Sweet Fridays.

Jody

Kathy A Delightsome Life said...

Hey Debbie,
Your winter decoration looks marvelous! We've had a toilet to break upstairs and run for 4 days while we were away on vacation. The sight we came home to! I know what you've gone through! Love your word for the year - perfect! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Jann Olson said...

Debbie, your home is always so festive on the outside. Such a warm welcome indeed! My favorite is the basket. Such an unusual find. Sorry about the leakage. No fun at all! Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
hugs,
Jann

Kathy Moody said...

Oh, Debbie, so sorry to hear about your hot water heater!!! What a mess. On a happy note, your winter decor looks so pretty! I love the snowflakes. Love your blog background, too! So pretty. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent this week!! Happy Friday and have a wonderful weekend. :)

Hugs
Kathy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where Bloggers Create 2012

Where Bloggers Create 2012
July 14th, 2012

Where Bloggers Create 2013

Where Bloggers Create 2013
July 12th, 2013!

2nd Annual Dress Form Ball

2nd Annual Dress Form Ball
March 11th,2013