I am a Victorian Soul, live in a small townhouse with my Hubby Joe, work full time night shift as an RN on a Hospital based Rehabilitation( Physical Medicine) Unit, have a small Craft Business on the side and I DABBLE IN A BIT OF THIS AND THAT!!!!


" IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN"
George Eliot
George Eliot was actually a pen name for a woman named Mary Anne Evans......


My One Little Word for 2014 is ME!!
Please click HERE to read about why I chose this word!!


PLEASE CLICK HERE to read Why I Returned to Blogging after a Break.....


Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Welcome to Our Secret Cottage Garden and Patio 2013


 First off, I want to Thank these Hostess's who featured my post Why I Love the Dollar Tree 
 from last week's parties:

 THANKS to Kathe over at Kathe With An E  for featuring it  as the Most Viewed from last week's
 You're gonna Love It Party

THANKS to Amy over at Atta Girl  , Marty over at Marty's Musings, Barb over at The EveryDay Home and Suzy over at Worthing Court for featuring it as one of the Most Viewed  from last week's
Home(Work) Party!
  Thanks so much to all of you for also making this post my most Popular Post of All Time!!
  Who would have thought a post about what I buy at The Dollar Tree would interest so many people!!!!

And I also want to THANK Richella over at Imparting Grace for featuring my post
Patriotic Front Porch and Yard from last week's Grace at Home Party!


 Please take some time to visit and maybe link up to all these great weekly parties!!

  Now you may have recognized the first picture in this post as my new Header Picture......

Speaking of Header Pictures, I recently read on a few Blogs that Header Pictures are not the way to go any more and just the Title of Your Blog is the new Thing.

Well, I have never been one to follow the Herd and I like Header pictures because when I first visit a blog,  I immediately look for  pictures to see if that particular Blogger's style is a style that would appeal to me and I hate to have to search all over the Blog and keep clicking on the "Read More" link to find out if this is a Blogger that I would want to follow.

So, I will stick with my outdated header pictures and change them from time to time to reflect what is currently going on in my life and around my home......

Now back to that Header picture and this post......

Welcome to our Secret Cottage Garden and Patio !!!
For those of you who are new to visiting Debbie-Dabble, we live in a row of 10 Townhomes with our home being the 3rd from one of the ends so I have connected houses on each side of our home.

But I bet that my patio and back yard is probably more private then yours is ,even with another row of 10 Townhouses directly behind me and up on a hill looking down at my back yard......

Now my yard and patio combined is about 20' by 20'.  I call it my Postage Stamp back yard. It may have something to do with Joe being a Letter Carrier for the U. S Postal Service.

This is what you see when you stand at the back of my little yard , looking at our house......
And this is what you see when you are standing in the patio and looking towards the back of our yard.......

To the left and straight back.......
And to the right......

The Trees that the neighbors behind us ,and to the side of us, have planted along with our trees, have grown to provide quite the privacy fence!

So when we sit on our Patio, no one behind us can actually see us!!

Our home is raised up about a good 3 feet from the house that adjoins us on the one side. With the addition of the privacy lattice to the fence and side of the Patio, no one can see when we are sitting in that chair there.
  Even though the adjoining yard on the other side is even with ours, again, with the addition of the privacy lattice and my neighbor's shed, no one can see when we sit in that chair either.

So that explains the " Secret" part of this post......

Is your yard and patio that private?

Now on to the Patio part......

In the beginning of the Spring, I went a little crazy with spray painting a lot of things that I have had on the Patio for several years.

 The funny thing is when I bought all those cans of spray paint on Clearance in A.C. Moore in Jan., I had no idea what I was going to use them for .

Nor did I know that those bright colors were going to be Thee "Colors" for Outdoor things for the Summer of 2013!!

If you missed my post on My Colorful Patio Reveal, please click HERE

I finally planted all my pots with annuals!!!
And we narrowly missed getting Frost on Memorial Day morning when the low temp. was 36 degrees!!!

Here is what this side of the Patio looks like now......
If you look really hard, you can see me taking the picture in the Gazing Ball!!
We don't have Central Air, so there is an air conditioner in the one window of the Den.
This is my corner!!


You can see that my neighbor in the end house on the row behind me also planted trees and as they grow, they will create even more privacy for my little yard.......
Joe bought 2 of these LED lanterns that are for Indoor/Outdoor use. You can actually dim them down or make them brighter at night.
In the corner, I have Begonias planted in this hanging basket and Victorian style planter.
I  added a cute purple flower from Dollar Surplus.....


Last year. I planted Dwarf Spruces in 2 large pots on each side of the patio. 
I planted blue lobellia and marigolds in the same pot.....

Hopefully, my little sign does not hold true!!
Petunias are planted in this pot and I threw in an old garden rake as a decoration.....

I place votive candles in the yellow chair to light at night......
My vintage Plant Stand.....

I painted most of the things on the wall this year to brighten them up.....

Binoculars to watch the birds attracted by my neighbor's bird feeders and a new pink lantern bought at Michael's.......... 

 Impatiens are planted here......



This is Joe's side of the Patio!!
One of the plant stands that got a fresh coat of paint....
Another begonia planted in this small pot.

Begonias and impatiens are shade loving annuals....
My Garden signs......

The table was a yard sale find that was also spray painted this year....
Dollar Store Decor......

To see more of my Dollar Tree Seasonal Decor , please click HERE

Begonias planted this hanging pot........


The tree has lights on it and is hooked up to the back porch light switch......

It looks really pretty at night but that will be for another post.....
More plant stands that I painted.....

An old Milk Bottle Box in which I keep my garden tools .......


More petunias.....
I found the nest on the side of the road near our Mailboxes and I haven't had a chance to "do" something with it yet.......

On the bottom of the plant stand is my feeble attempt at a Mini Garden from last year.....
Looking out to the yard.......
Another flea market plant stand that I spray painted this year......
The other pot with the Dwarf Spruce planted in it......
Nicotiana, lobellia and marigolds are planted in the top planter box and impatiens in the lower planter box......

Another LED Lantern.......

So that was the Patio part of this post.

And now for The Cottage Garden part.......

3 years ago, after losing our sweet Savanna, we decided not to get another dog and I decided to make our small yard into a Cottage Garden.......
 We already had no grass in the back yard but I only had a few perennials planted.
 I have added more over the past 2 years......

Again, the privacy provided by the Trees......

I laid this sidewalk myself many years ago!!
And carried all of these rocks back here from the woods on the side of our Development......
 

 I will be sharing more of my little Cottage Garden with you in a future post......


As you can see, one can fit a lot into a small yard!!!

This is our little piece of Heaven on Earth.............

I hope you enjoyed the Tour and I hope you will come back when I share more of my Cottage Garden and updates on how my plants and flowers are growing on a weekly basis ........

The East Coast will be in a Heat Wave over the next few days so I am sure my flowers and plants will be loving it even though I will definitely be NOT loving it!!

I am linking up to these great parties:

 Garden Party
Create it Thursday
Treasure Hunt Thursdays
 Hooking Up with House of Hepworths
Home and Garden Party Thursday
Share Your Cup Thursday
Vintage Thingie Thursday
Transformation Thursday
Inspired Creations Linky Party
Time Travel Thursday
 Open House Party
The Busy Bee's Blog Hop
Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop
 Homemaking Weekend Link Up Party
  Grace at Home Party
   Show Off Your Stuff Party on Thursdays

Fertilizer Friday
Anything Goes Linky Party
Home Sweet Home Friday
Show and Tell Friday
Be Inspired Fridays
Thrifty Things Friday
Simple and Sweet Fridays
Tickled Pink Party
Favorite Friday Party
 What To Do Weekends
Flaunt It Fridays
Fabulously Creative Friday Linky Party at Jennifer Rizzo's
Anything Blue Fridays
 Feature Friday Free For All 
 A Peek into Paradise TGIF Link Party
Inspire Me Please Weekend Blog Hop

From the Farm Blog Hop
 Old Time Party
Weekend ShowOff Party
Party Junk
Pink Saturday
 Strut Your Stuff Saturdays
One Great Idea Saturday Party
 Finding the Pretty and Delicious Party
Saturday Show and Tell 
   Say G'Day Saturday
  Serenity  Saturday 
One Sharendipity Place

Seasonal Sunday
Sunday's Best
Sunny Simple Sundays
Bouquet of Talent Linky Party
Sunday SHOW-licious Craft Showcase 
Clever Chicks Blog Hop 
That DIY Party 
Sunday Showcase 
 Vintage View Sunday Link Party 
Submarine Sunday 
  Share It One More Time Sundays
 
Masterpiece Monday
Mod Vintage Mix Monday
Metamorphosis Monday
Make It Pretty Monday
Mop It Up Mondays
Amaze Me Mondays 
Creative Blogger's Party and Hop
What'd You Do This Weekend?

Tuesday's Treasures
The Scoop
Knick of Time Tuesday
You're Gonna Love It Tuesdays
Inspire Me Tuesdays
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Tweak It Tuesdays
Totally Transformed Tuesdays 
Show Me What You Got Tuesdays
 Budget Decorating Party
 Twirl and Take a Bow Party
 A-Zebra Linky party Tuesdays
  Oh What a HAPPY Day Link Party!
 Cottage Style Linky Party

Wicked Good Wednesday
What's It Wednesday
Wednesdays Make, Bake and Create party
Wow Us Wednesday
Swing into Spring Party
Wednesdays Adorned From Above Linky Party
HOME Party on Wednesdays
  Show and Share Party
 Fluster's Creative Muster Wednesday's
 Home (Work) Wednesdays
  Rednesday

 All Things Pretty Thursdays 

 The Creative Home Acre Blog Hop
DIY SHowcase
Please take some time to visit these terrific hosts and all those joining in on the fun!

Thanks so much for stopping by today and every day that you take the time to visit with me!

Hugs,
Debbie

42 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

You certainly have a lovely little oasis. Enjoy the upcoming heat wave.

lynn cockrell said...

What a lovely and relaxing retreat you have created! It really does look cozy and quiet with all the fencing and trees all around. You and Joe will enjoy that wonderful cottage garden this summer, for sure.

Barbara F. said...

Such a charming Secret Garden, Debbie. I love it, and am I impressed that you laid the sidewalk down yourself. Wow. I am dreading the heat wave, I have an outdoor party this Saturday, in a yard with full sun. :/ xo

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Debbie. You really are secreted away in your back yard. You would never know that you had close neighbors. It looks very private and restful. I'm with you on the header pictures. Every little phase comes along and pretty soon it will all be back the same again, so I will stick with my pics also..Happy Wednesday..Judy

mail4rosey said...

I like that you can use those LED lights inside or out! Those would come in so handy here w/our power outages (we get them several times a year).

Everything looks really great, as usual. I love visiting and seeing what you're doing/how you're decorating.

Frances Kendrick said...

Your yard is just lovely! There so many details that make it so quaint. And I just love how you used the spray paint to give it a pop of color here and there.

Have a wonderful weekend!!

Sonia said...

Your secret garden is delightful! I can imagine you spend many pleasant days and evenings there! So colorful and I love your red leafed tree that just gives a huge pop of color in the landscape!
Enjoy the summer!
Miss Bloomers

Home and Lifestyle Design said...

My, this might be the prettiest outdoor space I have ever seen. It looks so relaxing. I love enclosed courtyards rather than just big open spaces and this is just absolutely lovely. Thanks for sharing. I just found your blog through My Romantic Home and I am your newest follower.
Thanks, Patty

Jil~Say It With Roses said...

You always put your heart and soul into your decorating whether it is inside or out!
Your patio and yard is just delightful! What a wonderful place to have an iced tea and just relax!
♥ Jil

Leann said...

HI Debbie

Happy Friday! I love your garden especially the shot with the red leaves hanging down.

You have so much energy my friend - gorgeous!

Art and Sand said...

Your have created a wonderful garden room. We live in a small cottage and our garden room is used as much as the interior about 8 months of the year.

Thanks for the tour.

Karen Frost said...

Sweet and Lovely! I love your pink plant stand and blue bird cage! A peaceful little retreat! xo

Pickles Mocoy said...

Thanks so much for the garden tour. As you can tell from our blog we love gardens and private settings. We find that we never get enough time to enjoy ours the way we would like. Yet we keep trying.

Sweet Pickles Farm

http://sweetpicklesfarm.blogspot.com/

Jan said...

Hola Debbie! You are so right - our special outdoor spaces, be they ever so humble, even if just a small urban porch or a tiny balcony, are our own little bit of Heaven right here on Earth. When weather permits, I love sitting out on my slightly decrepit deck underneath an umbrella, feet up, glass of wine to hand, and just enjoy the fresh air, the animals, and the incredible beauty of blue skys, various shades of clouds, the myriad shades of green and other rich hues we add to our own particlary oases. I don't have to travel far to enjoy inspiring scenery, I've got it right in my own backyard, as you do in yours! I do wish my space was smaller - 20 x 20 sounds perfect to me! Is that a purple leaf plum or a sand cherry you have growing by your shed? Whatever it is, it sure is pretty! Take care, I'll be visiting again soon.

Tootsie said...

You have done a great job making your postage stamp garden! It is absolutelyit feels like forever since I had time to sit and enjoy everyone's posts...I am so glad I could drop by today and see your addition to my little party! Thank you so much for linking into my little party this week...I appreciate and enjoy every post!
I hope you will link in again and again!
I am also sharing your post to the Tootsie Time Facebook page!
Have a great week!

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

--
www.tootsietime.com

wonderful there! I wish I could sit on the patio and have a tea with you! VERY INVITING INDEED!

Susan said...

You have such a wonderful secret garden. How you keep it so well maintained and beautiful is beyond me. so pretty!

Penny @ Penny's Vintage Home said...

Just saw this post on Homemaker on a Dime...don't know how I missed it when you first posted it! Anywho...so many little details make your secret garden just perfect. I just had to giggle when you showed us Joe's side of the porch....H and I have our own "sides" too! Hugs, Penny

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Wonderful that you have so much privacy and great sitting spaces to enjoy your garden!
Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY...
Blessings,
Cindy

Katherines Corner said...

a wonderful happy place to relax. Thank you for linking your post to the Thursday Favorite Things hop xo

Karie's Chic Creations said...

Oh, Debbie your little yard is adorable. It inspires me! I have a tiny yard also. It is fun to see all of your cute pots and flowers. Very lovey and I am sure relaxing for you. Thanks for sharing. Karie

Karen said...

Debbie, I really enjoyed seeing your lovely secret garden, so beautifully done, just like your home interiors.

I love how private it is, too! Perfect for relaxing and enjoying life outside.

Lita said...

I have a secret garden too. I don't have as many cute things in mine. I live in dusty West Texas and it all gets too dusty. So I cover mine with flowers and anything green that needs a home when I gomto the garden shop.

Thanks for sharing with What'd You Do This Weekend?

Wishes for tasty dishes,
Linda
Tumbleweed Contessa

RoseMarie said...

Hi Debbie, this morning I woke up in pain fibromyalgia, and some degree of trizteza note in my .... but after praying, I sat down to look at my blog for a while and I have come to your wonderful blog! Started reading and poof! I began to feel much better emotionally! so I went on a 'tour' THROUGH photos and your story about your beautiful garden, back patio, fantastic details and additions of dollar tree ', and finishes inspired! , More positive and today I dared to give thanks! For many people, blogging makes no sense to me is just the opposite! Today I start the day more happy and I thank you for sharing your wit and your lifestyle! I looks wonderful! , Extending as far your work!? is wonderful! Thanks Debbie, from The Caribbean, receives a big hug! Rose Marie

Crystelle Boutique said...

Oh my! What a lovely garden. I bet you spend ALL your extra time back there! What a lovely escape from this hectic life....



hugs xx Crystelle
Crystelle Boutique

Chel C said...

Wow wow WOW! Your garden is GORGEOUS!! I love every element to it, a true oasis of beauty. I have just found your blog and can't believe I haven't seen it before! Can't wait to read more! Your newest follower. Chel x

Cristen Eacret said...

I think your cute patio cover also adds a touch of privacy to your secret garden. I can also see that it gives just enough shade so it'll be comfortable to sit and relax in your little corner without being too bothered by the heat of the sun.Showtime Vinyl

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love your garden and patio, Debbie! It looks like a great place to sit and relax. I gave up all forms of a yard/garden when we moved to a condo almost two years ago. It is a ranch condo so I do have some areas that are planted all around it. I would have loved something with a courtyard or something, but I'm content for now.

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

You sure have a lot of treasures out there. There has to be something for everyone to fall in love with!
Liz

Debra @ Homespun said...

SO MUCH HARD WORK ( I see this everyctime you do a post :)

But beauty and relaxation as a result in the end...such a nice lovely garden spot! :)

Stacey said...

Love your porch - just beautiful!
Thanks for sharing at the party!
Stacey

Annie said...

Your little garden yard is so darn cute. I would love to see what it looks like in the winter (presuming you get snow). This is my first visit thanks to Blue Monday. It won't be my last. All my best, Annie

Kathy A Delightsome Life said...

Hello Debbie,
Your Secret Garden is lovely. Don't you just love this time of the year - I love all your whimsy and the pottery. Gorgeous, secluded garden. I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Robin Buster said...

What a relaxing oasis! I love the lilac bush and all of the privacy trees. Thanks for sharing at Fluster's Creative Muster Party.

Robin
Fluster Buster

Dee @ A Lapin Life said...

Your 'Secret Garden' is wonderful Debbie! I bet you spend many hour there.

Holly McDonald said...

I love the pictures of all your great gardens!

Thank you for spreading JOY and sharing at the Oh What a HAPPY Day party.

Holly at Not Done Growing

Sally Annie Magundy said...

What lovely secret retreat and garden you've created for yourselves! I adore your wicker chair.

Happy Rednesday!

Jody and Stan said...

Love your Secret Cottage Garden. Just Beautiful!! Thanks so much for sharing at Simple & Sweet Fridays.
You and Joe have a wonderful weekend!

Hugs,
Jody

Pickles Mocoy said...

Debbie, I love that you and your hubby enjoy the works of your hands in your private garden. We definitely have a private one as we live in the woods, but I can tell that we would feel quite at home in your back garden! I love to see how other people put together the plants and pots and other items to make an oasis from the everyday battles we all face...thanks for the diversion today..:)

Laura Turner said...

Hi Debbie,
Your house looks like such a fun place to be. Love the patio! Thank you for promoting my blog party and thanks for promoting it. Maybe it will take off one of these days! I'm going to make it an inspiration blog party. Anything that inspires--maybe that will help.
Best,
Laura from Sunday View

Cristina Garay said...

I enjoyed the tour of your beautiful garden! I wish I could have all the privacy you have, I've gotten really good ideas to incorporate in my own, Thanks for sharing it!

Poppy said...

Hi Debbie,

Loving all your addition of cheery flowers and colours in your accessories. ADORABLE!!

Poppy

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

You have a wonderful little postage stamp sized yard, Debbie! I would love to have some privacy screens and trees to block the neighbors. My hubby loves to sit out and see what all the action is but I like quiet and privacy. You and Joe have done a grand job. Enjoy your Summer in your little sanctuary and thanks for sharing at my HOME.

Blessings,
Sandi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where Bloggers Create 2012

Where Bloggers Create 2012
July 14th, 2012

Where Bloggers Create 2013

Where Bloggers Create 2013
July 12th, 2013!

2nd Annual Dress Form Ball

2nd Annual Dress Form Ball
March 11th,2013

Annual Valentine Par-tay!!!

Annual Valentine Par-tay!!!
Feb. 7, 2014